We all have days when we need to take a step back and recharge, self care is so important because if you can’t take care of yourself how will you take care of those who depend on you? Our boys have grown up knowing when I am taking a day off from the world and there are things we do together to ensure our minds stay healthy.
Here are some of things we like to do together.
- Watch a movie we love. This includes snuggling, lots of popcorn and snacks and just enjoying being with each other.
- Talking about our feelings. This one is a strange one for me because I don’t actually like talking about my own feelings, we have somehow managed to let the boys know if they need to vent then we will listen to how they are feeling.
- Arts & Crafts. We actually have a pretty large arts and crafts collection so getting out some paint and painting family portraits or just painting is fun!
- Walking. For me a great way to gather my thoughts and relax is to go for a walk, usually in the woodland.
- Playing outside games. Yes we are lucky in that we have some awesome outside space therefore we take advantage of it and get outside when ever we need too. Just throwing the ball to each other is a great way to get out any built up frustration.
- Bike Rides. We don’t do this as a family because Elliot will not ride his bike! Adam & Toby like to go out for a bike ride around the farm and it always seems to help their mood.
- Leave positive notes for each other. This may sound silly but Elliot loves it. Everytime I see him reading one his face lights up. Your words really do matter!
- Read together. We are book lovers and love nothing more than snuggling up to read a story together. It really makes you realise the kiddos are not little for long.
- Board Games! If you have kids you should get lots of board games. Yes the boys have video games and tablets/laptops but sometimes a good old game of Monopoly or Buckaroo is what they are looking for.
- Go for a walk. I do actually do this alone sometimes. I find it very relaxing and I can gather my thoughts.
- Write. One of the things I do the most is write my thoughts and feelings down in a really good notebook. Even if I don’t show anyone it is so much better having them out on paper.
- Treat yourself. Go to a spa or even buy a face mask and sit back and relax!
- Take a really nice bath. Need I say more?
- Meditate. I used to meditate a lot when I was younger but for some reason stopped, I started doing it again recently and I forgot just how calming it is.
- Lists. I am a list weirdo, I love to write lists of anything. It is relaxing and makes me focus!
- Cloud watching. Have you ever just lay down on the grass and watched the clouds? See what shapes you can find. One of the most relaxing things I have done.
- Cuddle the dog, It has been scientifically proven that stroking your dog reduces stress. Give it a go.
- Herbal Tea. I am addicted to herbal tea and have a whole cupboard full of different flavours. It is extremely good for you and keeps me feeling great.
There you have just some great ways you can help de stress and just look after yourself when you need t o. It is important to look after your mental health and if you need help please just ask.